annestaszalek

Reading Through the Nyte

If it has pages, I will try to read it. Admittedly, I will not always succeed, as some books honestly do not deserve to be printed, not to mention finished. After reading them, I like telling people about books-- whether to avoid them or seek them out... and so it goes...

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Espresso Shot
Cleo Coyle
Empress: A Novel
Shan Sa
Stray - Rachel Vincent Another in the "Urban Fantasy" milieu, this one having a heroine who is a werecat, or since the name is a bit misleading, her race of creatures are shapeshifters with a human and a large black panther form. Faythe is one of the rare 'tabbies', or a female of her species, and her father is pride leader of a large part of North America, and Faythe spends most of the book whining about how she wants to be free, and not tied down to what her family expects of her. Normally I could understand this motivation-- being born into a situation where you are basically NEEDED to be breeding until YOU make a female child, and are stuck in the position of mate to a pride leader is not something many women would enjoy.

Except here is the rub-- all her family has EVER asked of her is to be clan leader, and yes, have some children with a man she ALREADY LOVES, and basically do whatever the hell else she pleases while doing so. Her father even trains her to TAKE OVER THE FAMILY and her chosen mate IS FINE WITH THAT, something unheard of in the mini universe of these people. BUt no Faythe is still not happy, even though she really has no clue what she would want to do with her life otherwise. Yeah, it got really boring really quickly to hear her whining and refusing to budge an inch and we, as the reader, are supposed to be supporting her when, honestly, I didn't.

Add in a rather overstated plot wherein somehow a bunch of "strays" (those werecats without a family to affiliate with) are kidnapping, and then killing the super-rare young and unattached tabbies of all the families (you'd think they'd be better protected) and a lot of repressed sex, and you have a book that had a really wonderful premise, and some shining moments, but in the end, if you dislike the main character, it fails as the start of a series. I'm tempted, since the Kindle editions are cheaper, to try the second and see if Faythe continues her whining, but it can wait.