annestaszalek

Reading Through the Nyte

If it has pages, I will try to read it. Admittedly, I will not always succeed, as some books honestly do not deserve to be printed, not to mention finished. After reading them, I like telling people about books-- whether to avoid them or seek them out... and so it goes...

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Espresso Shot
Cleo Coyle
Empress: A Novel
Shan Sa
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Vicki Myron, Bret Witter The story alternates between the ‘biography’ of Dewey, the yellow tabby kitten found in the night depository box of a small Midwestern library and the autobiography of the head librarian who found him. I found the life of Dewey to be a very well written, sweet, and sometimes ‘overtly sticky’ memoir. Sadly, I thought that the autobiographical parts to be sometimes more like reading the notes of a therapy session of a woman trying to convince herself that her life was well done. While I appreciated her love of the part of the country where she lived, and sometimes the continual stated affirmations on how GOOD and REAL and WONDERFUL life was around her made me feel like she was trying to convince herself that the place was really so wonderful that thinking of living elsewhere was foolish. In the end, I had to admit, I had wished there was more Dewey, less Vicki.