annestaszalek

Reading Through the Nyte

If it has pages, I will try to read it. Admittedly, I will not always succeed, as some books honestly do not deserve to be printed, not to mention finished. After reading them, I like telling people about books-- whether to avoid them or seek them out... and so it goes...

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Espresso Shot
Cleo Coyle
Empress: A Novel
Shan Sa
Culture Shock! Japan - Rex Shelley, Reiko Makiuchi This is another rather good reference book to read if you are considering moving to Japan. What I have learned, after several of these books is the following:
a) There are no handicapped people or people of size in Japan. Whether or not they really DO exist, in these books, they are entirely absent.
b) The people of Japan love people to visit, but um… just don’t think of ever being one of them. Ever. While learning Japanese and making mistakes, you are cute, and they love to help you—get too proficient in the language and/or culture and you become the dog who piddles on the rug wayyy too often.
c) The above statement is always said NOT by native people, but the people writing the book, which makes me believe that the above statement is bean dip, but pushed by those who HAVE managed to fit in, hoping that you will buy it and not threaten their special flower status.
d) If you are good enough to have lunch with Emily Post, you’ll be OK in Japan—just remember to be quiet, polite, and darnit, read a bit about the etiquette before going to any foreign country to live.